Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Barn-Owls :: Australasian Grass-Owl
Australasian Grass-Owl Tyto longimembris
Described by: Jerdon (1839)
Alternate common name(s): Australian Grass Owl, Australian Grass-Owl, Common Grass-Owl, Eastern Grass-Owl
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeIndia. Se. Asia. Philippines. New Guinea. N. Australia;
(1) N. and e. India and se. China (Kwangsi, Kwangtung, Fukien).
(2) India, Burma and Vietnam. Lesser Sundas (Flores).
(3) Philippines (Batan, Calamian Is., Luzon, Panay, Negros, Cebu, Siquijor, Mindanao and Basilan).
(4) E. New Guinea c. and se. ranges to Huon Peninsula and s. to Merauke region.
(5) W. New Guinea (Baliem Valley of the Snow Mountains).
(6) S. and e. Sulawesi (Tukangbesi Is.), N. and e. Australia in three isolated populations: n. Northern Territory (Top End), in c. regions from se. Northern Territory, w. Queensland and ex. ne. South Australia, and in coastal Queensland (Cooloola National Park, sugar cane fields in vicinity of Ingham and Julatten) from the Cape York Peninsula to n. New South Wales (Clarence River). Fiji (Viti Levu).
Disperses widely on occasions to ne. Western Australia (Kimberleys) and most of the remainder of interior of Australia.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.