Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Typical Owls :: Southern Boobook
Southern Boobook Ninox boobook
Described by: Latham (1801)
Alternate common name(s): Northern Boobook, Red Boobook, Dark Boobook, Australian Boobook, Streaked Boobook, Boobook Owl
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeLesser Sundas. S. New Guinea. Australia.
(1) Lesser Sundas (Roti Is.).
(2) E. Lesser Sundas (Timor and Babar).
(3) Alor Is.
(4) Moa, Leti and Romang Is.
(5) Babar Is.
(6) Kai Is.
(7) Cs. New Guinea in the Oriomo River and Wassi Kussa River areas.
(8) Lesser Sunda (Sawu) and Australia (w. and nw. Western Australia, Northern Territory, w. and n. Queensland (Cape York Peninsula), nw. New South Wales and South Australia. .
(9) Ne. Australia (ne. Queensland between Cooktown and Paluma).
(10) Coastal e. Australia from c. Queensland (Atherton Tablelands on the Mount Lewis road), New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory (Brindabellas w. of Canberra) and Victoria to ex. se. South Australia and Tasmania (Maria Island National Park).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.