Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Kingfishers :: Little Kingfisher
Little Kingfisher Alcedo pusilla
Described by: Temminck (1836)
Alternate common name(s): Mangrove Kingfisher, Ramsay Kingfisher
Old scientific name(s): Ceyx pusillus, Alcyone pusilla
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeMoluccas, New Guinea and associated islands, Bismarck Archipelago and Solomon Is.;
Fragmented island distribution;
(1) N. Moluccas (Halmahera, Becan and Obi).
(2) Aru Is., Kai Is., w. Papuan Is., s. New Guinea, D'Entrecasteaux Archipelago (Goodenough Is., Fergusson Is.) s. in Torres Strait is. and ex. ne. Australia (Queensland, ne. Cape York Peninsula in the Iron Range National Park).
(3) N. New Guinea from Geelvink Bay e. to Astrolabe Bay.
(4) Bismarck Archipelago (Umboi, New Britain, New Ireland, New Hanover, Tabar Is.).
(5) Buka, Bougainville, Santa Isabel, Choiseul and Florida Is.
(6) New Georgia Group (Vellalavella and Kulambangra Is.).
(8) N. Australia from Northern Territory (Yellow Waters in Kakadu National Park, Middle Arm, Melville Is. and Victoria River) e. to w. Cape York Peninsula in Queensland).
(9) Ne. Queensland (s. Cape York Peninsula from the Endeavour River and Daintree River, Cairns Botanical Gardins at the saltwater pool, Thomsons Road s. to Keppel Bay, Normanton and Townsville).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.