Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Kingfishers :: Common Kingfisher
Common Kingfisher Alcedo atthis
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): River Kingfisher, European Kingfisher, Eurasian Kingfisher, Kingfisher
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 5 more images.
RangeW. Europe to c. and e. Asia, Indonesia to the Solomon Is.
(1) Europe (British Isles, s. Sweden, s. Finland e. across c. and s. Russia) to s. Siberia.
(2) Mediterranean region to s. Europe (Portugal (Pera Marsh, Lagoa dos Salgados, Algarve), nw. Africa and Syria and Arabia.
(3) N. India to Malaya, Greater Sundas, Hainan Is., the Philippines, Taiwan, Ryukyu Is., Japan, Kuril Is. and Sakhalin Is.
(4) S. India and Sri Lanka. Andaman Is. and Nicobar Is.
(5) Lesser Sundas from Bali to Timor Is.
(6) Sulawesi, Moluccas, w. Papuan Is., New Guinea, Admiralty Is. and the Bismarck Archipelago.
(7) Solomon Is.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Hong Kong Birdwatching Society
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Massaciuccolis Oasis
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.