Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Kingfishers :: Variable Kingfisher
Variable Kingfisher Ceyx lepidus
Described by: Temminck (1836)
Alternate common name(s): Chameleon Dwarf Kingfisher, Dwarf Forest-Kingfisher, Dwarf Kingfisher, Variable Dwarf-Kingfisher, Goodfellow's Kingfisher, Philippine Dwarf-Kingfisher, Gentian Kingfisher
Old scientific name(s): Alcedo lepida
No photographs are available for this species
RangeC. and s. Philippines, Moluccas, New Guinea, Bismarck Arcipelago and Solomon Islands;
(1) C. and s. Philippines (Banton, Tablas, Romblon, Sibuyan, Semirara, Negros, Cebu, Olango, Siquijor, Camiguin Sur, Mindanao, Basilan, Malamaui, Jolo, Tawitawi and Bongao).
(2) Sula Is. (Seho, Taliabu, Mangole, Sanana).
(3) N. Moluccas (Morotai, Halmahera, Ternate, Tidore, Bacan, Bisa and Obi) .
(4) S. Moluccas (Ambelau, Ambon, Seram, Saparua, Seram Laut and Watubela).
(4) S. Moluccas (Buru Is.).
(6) Aru Is., w. Papuan Is. in Geelvink Bay, Aru Is., New Guinea (including Kairiru Is. and Karkar Is.) to D'Entrecasteaux Is.
(7) Admiralty Is. (Manus Is.).
(8) New Hanover, New Ireland, Tabar Is. and Lihir Is.
(9) New Britain and associated islands (Umboi (Rook Is.), Lolobau and Watom).
(10) Buka Is. and Bougainville to Choiseul and Santa Isabel Is.
(11) New Georgia Group (Vellalavella, New Georgia and Rendova Is.).
(12) Guadalcanal Is.
(13) Malaita Is.
(14) San Cristobal Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.