Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Kingfishers :: Azure Kingfisher
Azure Kingfisher Alcedo azurea
Described by: Latham (1801)
Alternate common name(s): Blue Kingfisher, Creek Kingfisher, Water Kingfisher, River Kingfisher
Old scientific name(s): Ceyx azureus, Alcyone azurea
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeMoluccas, New Guinea and associated islands and Australia;
(1) N. Moluccas (Morotai, Halmahera and Becan).
(2) Aru Is.
(3) W. Papuan Is. and lowlands of s. New Guinea to the D'Entrecasteaux Archipelago.
(4) N. New Guinea from Mamberano e. to Astrolabe Bay and s. to Wahgi Valley and Geelvink Bay Is., Karkar Is. and Amiralty Is.
(5) E. Lesser Sundas (Romang Is.) and Tanimbar Is.
(6) N. Australia (ne. Western Australia from Kimberley e. the Northern Territory (Yellow Waters in Kakadu National Park and Middle Arm) to nw. and ne. Queensland on the Cape York Peninsula s. to Cooktown).
(7) E. and s. Australia (Queensland from Cooktown (Daintree River) s. in New South Wales, Victoria (Royal National Park near Sidney) and ex. e. South Australia). (8) Tasmania.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.