Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Grebes :: Australasian Grebe
Australasian Grebe Tachybaptus novaehollandiae
Described by: Stephens (1826)
Alternate common name(s): Australasian Little Grebe, Australian Grebe, Australian Dabchick, Black-throated Little Grebe
Old scientific name(s): Podiceps novaehollandiae
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeJava and Lesser Sundas; New Guinea; Is. of sw. Pacific Ocean; Australia; New Zealand;
(2) The Lesser Sundas (Timor Is.). Moluccas (Ternate Is.).
(3) Talaud and Sangi Is. in the Sangihe Is.
(4) N. New Guinea (Sepik River).
(5) S. Solomon Is. (Rennell Is. only).
(6) New Caledonia and Vanuatu (Santa Maria, Espiritu Santo, Aoba).
(7) S. New Guinea (lakes in the Snow Mountains, Sentani Lake, Bulolo, and in the s. and e. lowlands) s. to Australia (mainly ex. s. and n. Western Australia, coastal Northern Territory and Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, ex. se. South Australia, irregular elsewhere), Tasmania, New Zealand in North Island (n. and w. Northland) and South Island.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.