Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Bee-eaters :: Green Bee-eater
Green Bee-eater Merops orientalis
Described by: Latham (1801)
Alternate common name(s): Little Green Bee-eater, African Little Green Bee-eater, Arabian Little Green Bee-eater, Asian Little Green Bee-eater
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 4 more images.
RangeSahel zone of Africa. Nile River valley. Near East and Arabia. Iran to se. Asia;
Three fragmented populations;
(1) Sw. Mauritania, Senegambia, s. Mali, Burkina Faso, s. Niger (Air), Ivory Coast, Benin, n. Nigeria, n. Cameroon, s. Chad, n. Central African Republic, s. Sudan and Uganda to nw. Ethiopia and Eritrea.
(2) Ne. Chad (Ennedi) e. to the Red Sea coast of Sudan.
(3) Egypt (Nile Valley) s. to n. Sudan.
(4) S. Israel s. along the w. and s. coast of Arabia.
(5) C. Saudi Arabia and e. Arabia (Oman).
(6) S. Iraq, s. Iran, Pakistan and nw. India (Rajasthan).
(7) W. India (Rann of Kachchh) e. to Bangladesh and s. to Sri Lanka.
(8) Ne. India (e. Assam), sc. China (Yunnan), Burma and Thailand to Vietnam.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.