Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Weavers and Allies :: Village Weaver
Village Weaver Ploceus cucullatus
Described by: Müller, Statius (1776)
Alternate common name(s): Black-headed Weaver, Mottled Weaver, Layard's Weaver, Layard's Black-headed Weaver, Spot-backed Weaver
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 4 more images.
RangeC., e. and s. Africa;
(1) Senegambia, s. Mauritania, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, s. Mali, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin, s. Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, Fernando Po, Central African Republic, and s. Chad.
Introduced to Hispaniola and Saona Is.
(2) Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Cabinda, Zaire and n. Angola.
(3) Sudan, n. Zaire, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, w. Kenya, and nw. Tanzania.
(4) Ethiopia and Eritrea.
(5) S. Zaire.
(6) E. Zaire and w. Tanzania.
(7) S. Somalia, e. Kenya, e. Tanzania including Mafia Is., e. Zaire, Zambia, Malawi, and Mozambique.
(8) Se. Botswana, Zimbabwe, c. Mozambique and e. South Africa (ne. Natal).
(9) S. Mozambique and e. South Africa (Transvaal, Natal and e. Cape Province).
Introduced to the Mascarene Is.
(10) Somalia, e. Kenya, e. Tanzania to n. Botswana, Zimbabwe and c. Mozambique.
Introduced to Sao Tome.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.