Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Guineafowl :: Helmeted Guineafowl
Helmeted Guineafowl Numida meleagris
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): West African Guineafowl, Tufted Guineafowl, Reichenow's Guineafowl
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 4 more images.
RangeAfrica s. of Sahara;
(1) W. Morocco between the Oum er Rbia River and the Sebou River.
(2) Senegal to the Cameroon, Gabon and n. Angola to s. Chad, Central African Republic and sc. Zaire. Introduced to the West Indies and various is. worldwide including Great Barrier Reef islands off ne. Australia (Heron Is.).
(3) E. Chad, Sudan, n. Ethiopia and sw. Arabia s. to n. and e. Zaire, Uganda, n. Kenya (s. to Kenyan highlands) and possibly sc. Tanzania.
(4) Se. Ethiopia, nw. and s. Somalia and n. Kenya (ne. Kenya s. to Wajir).
(5) Sw. Kenya (coastal lowlands) and c. Tanzania.
(6) S. Kenya (s. of equator), w. and e. Tanzania s. to e. Mozambique w. through Zambia and Zimbabwe to s. Angola, n. Botswana. Zanzibar Is. and Tumbatu Is.
(7) S. Congo Basin s. to w. Angola and s. Zaire e. to sw. Tanzania and then w. through the Zambezi Basin to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia.
(8) S. Angola to Botswana and Namibia (Etosha National Park).
(9) E. South Africa (Transvaal, Natal and e. Cape Province).
Introduced to is. in the Gulf of Guinea including the Cape Verde Is., Comoro Is., Madagascar, Mascarene Is., West Indies and Trindade Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.