Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Kingfishers :: Ruddy Kingfisher
Ruddy Kingfisher Halcyon coromanda
Described by: Latham (1790)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): Entomothera coromanda
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeKorea and Japan. Ex. ne. India to se. Asia. Greater Sundas. Sulawesi. Philippines and Taiwan.
Highly fragmented distribution;
(1) Ne. China (Manchuria), Korea and Japan (Hokkaido and Honshu s. to Kyoto).
Winters s. to the Philippines and Talaud Is.
(2) Ryukyu Is. (Yambaru, n. Okinawa), Taiwan and Lanyu Is.
Winters s. in n. and w. Philippines and Talaud Is.
(3) Nepal and n. and e. India to n. Burma, s. China s. to n. Bengal, ne. and c. Thailand.
N. populations winter s. to the Malay Peninsula, Peninsular Thailand, Cambodia, n. Laos, s. Vietnam, Sumatra and Java.
(4) Andaman and Nicobar Is.
(5) S. Peninsular Thailand from about the Ithmus of Kra s. to Sumatra including Simeulue Is., Batu Is. and Mentawai Is., Riau Archipelago, Bangka Is., Belitung Is. Java and Borneo.
(6) Sw. Philippines (Palawan).
(7) Sulu Archipelago (Tawitawi and Sanga Sanga).
(8) Talaud Is. and Sangihe Is. s. to Sulawesi and adjacent is. including Lembeh Is., Talisei Is., Togian, Is., Muna Is., and Butung Is.
(9) Banggai Is. (Peleng Is., Banggai Is., and Labobo Is.).
(10) Sula Is. (Taliabu Is., Seho Is., Mangole Is. and Sanana Is.).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Pintails Home (Kim Hyun-Tae)
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Biological Research Information Center, BRIC of Korea
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.