Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Barn-Owls :: Australian Masked-Owl
Australian Masked-Owl Tyto novaehollandiae
Described by: Stephens (1826)
Alternate common name(s): Australian Masked Owl, Masked Owl, New Guinea Masked Owl, New Guinea Masked-Owl, Tasmanian Masked Owl, Tasmanian Masked-Owl, Chestnut-faced Owl, Maw-faced Owl, Cave Owl, Masked Owl, Tasmanian Owl
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
No photographs are available for this species
RangeS. New Guinea, Australia (except the interior deserts) and Tasmania;
(1) S. New Guinea from s. Trans-Fly region in the vicinity of Merauke to Tarara and Daru Is.
(2) Melville Is. and Bathurst Is. off n. Australia.
(3) Ne. Australia (ne. Queensland on the Cape York Peninsula from the Pascoe River to Chester River).
(4) N. Australia from Yampi Peninsula e. to the s. Cape York Peninsula and Atherton Tablelands.
(5) Sw. Western Australia e. through South Australia to Victoria, New South Wales (Nullica State Forest) n. to ne. Queensland (Townsville and Atherton Tablelands at Kingfisher Park and vicinity of Ingham).
(6) Tasmania (Pittwater Road) and Maria Is.
Introduced to Lord Howe Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.